Saturday 9 August 2014

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION PART 2: GREY AREAS AND PERSONAL VIEWS

When I last wrote about cultural appropriation, I worte about it from a neutral point of view. It went along the lines of "appreciate but don't appropriate."

Here is part 1

A few days later I was watching a few videos on YouTube about cultural appropriation, this time from the view of its supporters, and to my surprise, most of them were in fact people of colour! There are many views of cultural appropriaiton ranging from "We should all be grabbing everyone's culture!" to "STOP EATING RICE!".

1. It's about sharing

I remember a conversation I had with a Korean friend of mine and I asked what she thought of foreigners wearing the Hanbok (correct me if I'm wrong). She said that she thought it was nice and that we should be sharing our culture as opposed to keeping it to ourselves. She later elaborated her point by saying that she would love to try on every traditional costume from around the world.

It was a rather interesting argument as most social justice warriors I listen to are against the idea of appropriation. I think the problem we people of colour have is an overbundance of pride. We are terrified by the very idea of white supremacy that we try so hard to keep parts of our culture to ourselves...and there is nothing wrong with that.

But think about it like this: the real issue is that people see our cultures as exotic and inappropriate but when someone from a more dominant culture falls in love with our culture and wears a few styles, are they not spreading the idea that our culture should be considered normal?

2. Melting pot nations

I grew up in a melting pot nation compromising of over 100 ethnic groups and races. In order to maintain our unity, our government encourages ALL of us to participate and experience the cultures of all the ethnic groups (clothing, customs, celebrations etc.).

So I was very much surprised when I first heard that cultural appropriation was a big issue, because to me its not (or rather cultural appreciation is not an issue to me). In order to unite a diverse nation, we must allow everyone to experience the same things we do, share our traditions with them and invite them into our cultures.

3. Sacred things are definitely a NO NO




Hijabs, burqas, bindis, headdresses, special jewelery and many more. These are all examples of articles that carry cultural AND spiritual significance. It is DEFINITELY inappropriate to wear these items without fullfilling certain cultural criterias (converting religion, completing tasks, invitations, gifts etc.)...and they are definitely not costumes!

4. Wear it and do it....with respect

As I said in my previous article, there is a difference between appreciation and appropriation, and we must learn to navigate through these ideas. If you are wearing something from another culture that is casual and meant for everyday use, go ahead! BUT do remember if you must wear or practice something from a minor culture, wear it properly and DON'T fetishize it!


5. What would I feel as a person of colour

I remember going into a macaroon shop in Paris and seeing a Kayan mask and going : "OH MY GOSH PEOPLE RECOGNIZE US :DDDD"
I remember going into an Australian restaraunt and seeing nasi goreng on the menu and going: "OH MY GOSH PEOPLE RECOGNIZE US :DDDD". And then I tasted it and went: "meh".
I remember seeing a white man with Iban tattoos and going: "HOLY CRAP I KNOW THAT DESIGN! PEOPLE RECOGNIZE US :DDDD".

To me, I feel honoured when someone of another culture wears, presents or does something that originates from my own culture. Would I get offended if someone danced the ngajat wrongly? I would be annoyed but making mistakes is part of learning. Would I get offended if someone mispronounced Bahasa Malaysia? Nope, I laugh because it sounds hilarious (sorry).

But I will get offended if you are delibiritely trying to mock me.

Videos:


















No comments:

Post a Comment